Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patty's Day


One of my co-workers excitedly said “Happy St Patty's Weekend” to me. Then she was unsure of whether or not I celebrated Saint Patrick's Day, because “I don't look Irish.” I chuckled, and I told her that she was right. I wasn't Irish but it has nothing to do with my looks, my niece is Black and she is Irish. In fact, my co-worker was Jewish, and she had come from a fun filled weekend of St. Patrick's Day events. Although this holiday has moved away from its original Catholic roots of celebrating St. Patrick to more secular festivities, I support any opportunity to learn more about other cultures.
The Irish played a strong part in building the foundation of America, and they have a deep history that often stays out of our history books. The Irish were in a very similar situation to Blacks when they first arrived in America, and they were made to do many of the menial jobs that others did not want to do and could not trust enslaved Blacks to do. Anyone who is interested in a good read regarding the struggle of the Irish to be accepted as equals in America should check out Joel Ignatiev's How the Irish became White. This book details the ways in which Blacks and Irish were often pitted against one another as a means to keep the lower classes from banding together against the upper class. So, have fun, be safe, read a book (or at east an article), and Happy St Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment